Sunday, January 13, 2013

Week 1

Phew! Week 1 of marathon training is in the books. I am following the Runners World Smart Coach plan. Tacoma City Marathon is the race that I am training for and since the plan I am following is only 16 weeks long I have time to ease into it.

Monday: Rest Day/Cross Train
Yep, you read that right. My plan began with a rest day! What the heck?!? I decided to take matters in my own hands and hit the spin bike. It was my first time on the bike in several months. I'm happy to report I was still able to walk comfortably the next day. 30 minutes on the bike followed by 10 minutes on the rowing machines and a short core workout.

Tuesday: Run - Easy Run
The schedule called for 6 miles but as I stated above I am easing into training. The hubby and I hit the YMCA for 4 miles around the track. Followed up the run with a short arm workout.

Wednesday: Rest/Cross Train
I had full intentions of working out today but I got called into work so it turned into a rest day.

Thursday: Run - Tempo
I hit the treadmill for 5 miles at a tempo pace. It felt good to run the legs at a faster pace.

Friday: Run
I once again had to bypass my plan for the day to be a mom. Oh well...being a mommy is what comes first.

Saturday: Rest/Cross Train
I decided to make up the miles I missed on Friday. My focus was 4 miles of hills while maintaining a steady pace. Mission accomplished! Then it was off to the pool for an hour with the kiddos.

Sunday: Run - Long Run
It wasn't quite the long run I had hoped for distance wise but after watching the Seahawks game and being so tense for the entire second half of the game...you get what you get. Seriously, did you watch the game? You know what I mean then! The hubby and I hit McCormick Woods trails for a nice, cold 6.5 mile run. I have decided the best way for me to slow down and focus on my long run is to add some trail work in.

This was my run happy moment of the week.

So that's it. My first week of marathon training. It may sound boring to most but to me it's pure bliss.

Total running miles: 19.5
Total bike miles: 14

No comments:

Post a Comment